With the school year beginning across the state of Maryland, many teachers are taking the time to step back and observe their students within their new classroom. While some teachers enjoy decorating every area of their classroom, some teachers prefer a plain white classroom. Although too many decorations can become distracting for students within a classroom, studies have shown that different colors within the classroom and other areas of a school can benefit students in different ways. In an article written by Perkins and Will Associate Kathie Engelbrecht, colors can help improve overall productivity within a classroom while also helping the different systems within the human body.
After reviewing a study performed by Antonio F. Torrice, certain colors have been proven to help with the different systems of a student. The study results are as follows:
- Violet- Nonverbal skills
- Yellow- Cardiopulmonary system
- Red- Motor skills
- Blue- Eyes, nose, ear functions
- Orange- Circulatory system
- Green- Speech
While the effects of colors on each student may vary, it could be helpful for teachers to consider the results of the study as they decorate and arrange their classroom. As teachers begin to learn about their new students, they can adjust their classroom interior to meet the needs of each student. Studies have also shown that generally, having colors in the classroom can have several benefits for students. These benefits include:
- Place Identity- Developing a color plan within a primary school setting can aide in “wayfinding” for younger students.
- Easy on the Eyes- Providing a colorful area for students to look at in contrast to the black and white lines of text can help relieve some eye strain they might experience during the day.
- Development Support- Each student is different, but most students will respond to colors in a certain way. By changing the colors that surround students as they grow older can assist in their overall development during their school years.
- Accuracy- In a study performed by the United States Navy, certain colors within a classroom can help to improve the accuracy of students along with their overall productivity.
Edwards and Hill Office Furniture is proud to furnish educational settings as well as providing quality furniture for corporate offices, hospitality businesses, local casinos, and healthcare facilities. Tony Hill has been partnering with Hans Edwards since 1998 to provide quality multimedia and furniture services to a number of different businesses and industries.
To get started with Edwards and Hill, call us today at 301-317-4250. You can also fill out our online contact form to ask specific questions about one of our specific services.