For years, many individuals have spent their days sitting at their desk, with little to no movement throughout the day. While this was uncomfortable to a certain degree, it was considered normal and most thought nothing of the endless hours sitting behind their desk. However, over the past couple years, numerous studies have shown that these desk jobs are actually harming the health of those occupying the jobs.
An article in the British Journal of Sports Medicine states that individuals who work behind a desk should take at least two hours out of their day to stand rather than sit. It also states that up to 75% of working hours are spent in a sustained sitting state for individuals who work desk jobs. These prolonged hours of sitting have been linked to the increased risk of diabetes, cancer, and cardiovascular disease for individuals with these jobs.
So what can you do to change your sitting habits within the office?
- Begin standing for a total of two hours each day during your eight hour work day. This should gradually increase to a total of four hours each day.
- Employers should educate their staff on the dangers of constant sitting.
- Incorporate walking within your standing hours to avoid pain and discomfort.
- Change your posture when standing to avoid fatigue and discomfort.
- Incorporate desks and work stations that allow you to easily work while standing.
- Incorporate ergonomic furniture at each work station to help prevent discomfort while sitting.
Ergonomic furniture allows individuals to adjust their desks and chairs to a height that is most comfortable for them. This helps to better blood flow and posture when sitting, as well as release some tension in the neck and spine.
Edwards & Hill Office Furniture is proud to furnish corporate offices as well as providing quality furniture for hospitality businesses, educational settings, local casinos, and healthcare facilities. Tony Hill, Managing Partner, and Hans Edwards, Partner, have been working together since 1998 to provide quality multimedia and furniture products and services to a number of different businesses and industries.
To get started with Edwards & Hill, call us today at 301-317-4250. You can also fill out our online contact form to ask specific questions about one of our specific services.